Pc build tips, I am new to this forum thing

badpilot2

Dec 2, 2015
If your budget can afford it, add an SSD for your C: Drive, but keep the larger disk as a Storage/Secondary disk. That way, stuff that should run on fast disk can have it, but the bulk of your data would go on the secondary.
so will I be switching them out or will I have both of them connected to the MoBo

Nillers

Aug 12, 2014
Hey Nillers, would the Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with Boost and OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Card 11217-01-20G be able to run Arma 3 or will I need a 4GB one
I'm going to ask @conan58 what he thinks. I'm not really an AMD expert, but it depends on what your monitor is like too. If you run a single or double 1080 I think you'd be fine, but a lot of more upcoming games are requiring more towards 4GB. So if you want to be ahead of the curb for a couple years, grab the 4GB.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dQBkpg

A set up I created...not cheap but might play Arma 3 well
Looks good. Really good choice for the Intel CPU. Only suggestion is that I see you're getting a wireless adapter. While that's handy (I have one myself) for online gaming like Arma, it's important you use an ethernet cord unless you're the only one and only device on the network. Otherwise, what we call packetloss occurs and can cause lag, desync, or banding (whatever you wish to call it) in games for you. So keep that in mind.

badpilot2

Dec 2, 2015
I'm going to ask @conan58 what he thinks. I'm not really an AMD expert, but it depends on what your monitor is like too. If you run a single or double 1080 I think you'd be fine, but a lot of more upcoming games are requiring more towards 4GB. So if you want to be ahead of the curb for a couple years, grab the 4GB.

Looks good. Really good choice for the Intel CPU. Only suggestion is that I see you're getting a wireless adapter. While that's handy (I have one myself) for online gaming like Arma, it's important you use an ethernet cord unless you're the only one and only device on the network. Otherwise, what we call packetloss occurs and can cause lag, desync, or banding (whatever you wish to call it) in games for you. So keep that in mind.
So here my question, do I need to run my ether net cable all the way to my router or just to a ethernet port near my computer

Nillers

Aug 12, 2014
So here my question, do I need to run my ether net cable all the way to my router or just to a ethernet port near my computer
If you have an ethernet port that is on, you can connect it there. Otherwise, you'll need a router that is connect to the internet.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6NWNdC

Updated setup, and also funar or nillers, what monitor should do you recommend, brand/type
1) :( You got rid of the 4.0 GHz CPU.
2) I might add the SSD isn't required to make a nice computer, just makes things a lot faster for general operations if your Operating System is on there.
3) I run a ASUS 1080p monitor and Dell 1440x900 for a second. I can't remember the actual models, but I've never had an issue.

badpilot2

Dec 2, 2015
If you have an ethernet port that is on, you can connect it there. Otherwise, you'll need a router that is connect to the internet.

1) :( You got rid of the 4.0 GHz CPU.
2) I might add the SSD isn't required to make a nice computer, just makes things a lot faster for general operations if your Operating System is on there.
3) I run a ASUS 1080p monitor and Dell 1440x900 for a second. I can't remember the actual models, but I've never had an issue.
found it
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CpT6Jx

badpilot2

Dec 2, 2015
Haha. You don't have to change it. I just think that CPU is going to work wonders for you and is worth the price. Ultimately, it's your budget and you need to pick what you think is the most vital.
Well I've mostly given up on the budget side of things, I've figured I better go all in and have a pc that will last a while rather than building a cheap pc that won't last long. I probably won't have it built until the end of summer. And I'm getting a job as a bus boy this year at a restaurant then I'm getting another job at a discount tires next year, so hopefully I'll be able to save enough money

conan58

Pancakes...
Nov 20, 2013
Houston Texas
Hello Badpilot2, I have also built an AMD system, and looking at what you got you have a pretty solid build I would make some adjustments and I will list them below in the list provided :)

1. (mobo)Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3 = This would be fine to stick with
2.(cpu) AMD FX-6300 6-core processor = this is good to stick with
3.(gpu)Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB = This will play Arma3 just fine

4.(psu)EVGA 500 W1 = I would get a bigger PSU, This could be a huge limiting factor in your build. More Wattage is better than barely there or not enough, It will either burn our your components or you will burn out your PSU and will need to spend more money anyway to get a new one.
I would look at the following:
  1. Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W
  2. Thermaltake PS-TPD-1000MPCGUS-1 1000
Or something Similar to those, I know those specific ones are kind of expensive, but in the long run, these will do you well.

5.(ram)Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) = up your memory to 16 at the minimum, You will thank me later I promise :)

6.(storage)Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA = That drive is a good drive to get, I have no problem with Seagate, I would agree with Funar, "In fact I need to get an SSD also." But it is not necessary.
You could look at something like this:
AMD Radeon SSD Radeon R7 2.5" 120GB

They make bigger ones, but that one is less that $100, there are more than likely other drives here that are cheaper.

7.(case)Bit Fenix Comrade = When you look at your case, Think of your cooling solution. How are you cooling your CPU/MOBO/GPU. If your case does not fit the cooling solution you would like to go with you need to rethink this piece. Do your research on cooling, I promise, you will thank me for this one. Explore your options and once you have figured out your cooling, then look at cases. BTW Stock coolers are crap ..... they barely do the job. And they are CRAZY LOUD.

If you know of a better Mobo that's not ridiculously expensive please let me know...under 120$

I hope this helps.

badpilot2

Dec 2, 2015
Hello Badpilot2, I have also built an AMD system, and looking at what you got you have a pretty solid build I would make some adjustments and I will list them below in the list provided :)

1. (mobo)Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3 = This would be fine to stick with
2.(cpu) AMD FX-6300 6-core processor = this is good to stick with
3.(gpu)Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB = This will play Arma3 just fine

4.(psu)EVGA 500 W1 = I would get a bigger PSU, This could be a huge limiting factor in your build. More Wattage is better than barely there or not enough, It will either burn our your components or you will burn out your PSU and will need to spend more money anyway to get a new one.
I would look at the following:
  1. Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W
  2. Thermaltake PS-TPD-1000MPCGUS-1 1000
Or something Similar to those, I know those specific ones are kind of expensive, but in the long run, these will do you well.

5.(ram)Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) = up your memory to 16 at the minimum, You will thank me later I promise :)

6.(storage)Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA = That drive is a good drive to get, I have no problem with Seagate, I would agree with Funar, "In fact I need to get an SSD also." But it is not necessary.
You could look at something like this:
AMD Radeon SSD Radeon R7 2.5" 120GB

They make bigger ones, but that one is less that $100, there are more than likely other drives here that are cheaper.

7.(case)Bit Fenix Comrade = When you look at your case, Think of your cooling solution. How are you cooling your CPU/MOBO/GPU. If your case does not fit the cooling solution you would like to go with you need to rethink this piece. Do your research on cooling, I promise, you will thank me for this one. Explore your options and once you have figured out your cooling, then look at cases. BTW Stock coolers are crap ..... they barely do the job. And they are CRAZY LOUD.

If you know of a better Mobo that's not ridiculously expensive please let me know...under 120$

I hope this helps.
I have updated my build since that first idea. Take a look at this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CpT6Jx

Nillers

Aug 12, 2014
A PSU of 750 should be enough.

Funar

Administrator
Staff member
A3 Team Officer
A3 Team Member
Nov 20, 2013
Michigan, USA
multiplayergamers.com
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zgZgGX
Updated...again, Also Funar do you have a pc security program, if so what do you think is best
Personally, I just use Windows Defender, which comes with Windows. Honestly, "security software" isn't even needed as long as you're smart about what you use your computer for, the sites you download from, and the attachments you click on in e-mail.

badpilot2

Dec 2, 2015
sorry for all the questions but this is nearly my last one. Is this the right windows thing I should be buying

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit System Builder OEM | PC Disc

Humble Bundle Partner

We've partnered with Humble Bundle to bring YOU great games where a portion of your purchases go to a worthy cause.
Humble Bundle Partner

Humble Monthly

Humble Monthly

A curated bundle of games sent to your inbox every month. Get over $100 in games for just $12.